Gehört zum IOTA-TALK Team

IOTA-TALK Founder:
Foren Gründer

IOTA-Expert:
Besitzt ein umfangreiches Wissen rund um IOTA

Top-Supporter:
Spendet o. Arbeitet selbst (mit) an Projekten zum Thema IOTA

vor 11 Monaten

Meine Beiträge fassen lediglich meine persönliche Meinung zusammen, und stellen keine Rechts, - o. sonst. Beratung dar.
Alle Angaben sind ohne Gewähr von Richtigkeit und Vollständigkeit. 
Der Erweb einer Vermögensanlage ist mit erheblichen Risiken verbunden und kann zum vollständigen Verlust des eingesetzten Vermögens führen.
"Würden die Menschen das Geldsystem verstehen, hätten wir eine Revolution noch vor morgen früh" - Henry Ford.
"Der Kapitalismus lebt davon, dass er die Menschen blöd hält, damit sie nicht begreifen wie das Finanzsystem funktioniert" - Volker Pispers.
Leitsatz Nr. 1: "Investiere nur in Dinge, die du verstehst"

Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:
Besitzt / betreibt einen Node

vor 10 Monaten

Bild

IOTA on DiscordTangle Tools - Field Stats
Meine NodesIOTA Engineering‏

Trolls can safely be ignored. IOTA is real, they are just that, irrelevant little trolls spewing garbage daily.
Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 10 Monaten

Zitat:Ralf Rottmann-gestern um 23:57 Uhr (Discord -> Carriota-Field)

Hi everyone! Just caught up with the very interesting debate around field and load balancing nodes in general. Let me try to add some points to the discussion.1. IOTA Foundation has made very clear, that we won't vet third party products or code. a) We do not have the resources to do so and it would require continuous revalidation on every update. b) As a non-profit we do not want to put the foundation at risk by becoming potentially liable for third party code. c) In this specific case, even if we would vet Roman's code, we won’t know whether it actually 100% represents what he is running. In essence, it wouldn’t add any real security with respect to the concrete deployment.

2. For us as a non-profit foundation, we have clear goals and procedures, defined as per our statue. As we currently see things, we could take over field and run it as part of our open source portfolio. We have talked to Roman and his team and offered to him to have our engineering team take a look at the code to get a first idea of how mature it is and the scope that’s covered.(bearbeitet)
3. On a broader scale, a certain degree of centralization around closed source projects is always a thin line to walk. On the other hand, we do love to see community projects grow and gain popularity. With that said, there still seems to be an opportunity to kick off the development of a fully open sourced load balancing solution with the ability to pay per use. As Nuriel pointed out earlier, providing intelligent load balancing doesn’t require any third party code at all. It can be achieved with a clever configuration for haproxy and I’m going to share mine later. I am running it in front of 12 full nodes and it works perfectly fine. If a group of developers would like to work on such an open source solution contributed to the public, I’m sure the Development Eco Fund would be interested in supporting it. (Disclaimer: Investment decisions are made solely by the funds management team.) This way, we could potentially have a multitude of independent groups of nodes, sharing a common, open source solution for load balancing and pay per use which further strengthen IOTA's decentralization.It’s good to having this debate and I salute everyone for staying cautious and passionate about this!

Trolls can safely be ignored. IOTA is real, they are just that, irrelevant little trolls spewing garbage daily.
Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 10 Monaten

Zitat:Roman Semko-heute um 13:41 Uhr

Hi guys, sorry for not following the discussion as I was barely on Discord in the past few weeks. Time is not on our side at the moment. A few points I was to clarify and add to what has already been said:

1.) We are currently maintaining half a dozen of IOTA-related projects at our own expense. I hate giving ETAs, especially in the current situation as I cannot assess how much time our other projects (that actually pay our bread and butter) will consume.

2.) The Field server will be open-sourced as soon as I have time to finalise it. The current state will do no good, believe me. As @Ralf Rottmann said, we have talked to the IF regarding the Field. We can open the source in stages as to mitigate any risk regarding possible vulnerabilities. That is, open the source for IF first, then for closed circle of trusted devs, then the rest of the world. 3.) We also offered IF to hire us to run a community Field service. This way IF can make sure that the source is really what is being run on the Field servers. If there is interest, we can go that way. This would make our planning easier and we could reserve more time to work on Field only. And there is much more that could be done regarding the proxy setup comparing to the current PoC, given the right resources. Things like smarter geo-routing, cloud flare protection, automatic failover, etc. I guess, the community has to decide if this is something that should be pursued.

4.) Any truly decentralised system is complex. If you add a layer on top of that system to simplify it, you potentially add some degree of centralisation:Example wallet: the underlying protocol might be decentralised, but you have to trust the devs of the wallet. Or you have to trust the community that someone checked the code thoroughly. Or you need to check it yourself and build it yourself. And you have to trust the compiler that will build your code. And the computer the code is being built on. And the processor (Intel anyone??) that your computer is using. And so forth ad infinitum.

Example society: I guess to be truly free you could go into the woods and live by your own rules. But as soon as you want the benefits that society has offer, you need certain amount of trust in the social system and the community you are living in.

For 100% security and decentralisation - a complete lack of trust has to be given. The more paranoid you are, the less trust you should give. The more “manual” work you should expect to do on your own. You should basically operate on a lower level, avoiding any simplification as it adds intermediary elements/layers into a system that could be potentially compromised.

Does that make any sense? The question here is simple: how far should we go? I guess, everyone should decide on their own. If someone does not trust a Field service, she can always work with separate nodes or running own node. But then, do you really trust the software or the node you are connecting to?

5.) Regarding node protection. Right now the Field is SPoF. It could be taken down in the current state, but would leave the rest of the nodes intact. It would take the hit to protect the rest of the network. That is why, in order to mitigate the effect of SPoF, I offered creating a second layer on top of IOTA, basically a P2P network of Field Servers. A client would be a passive member of this network and connect to nearest, active Field. Something similar to Nelson could be used for that matter.The Field throttles requests so that no 34% attack is possible. It is basically a bottleneck. Hacking the Field Server is another question and what should be worked on in the first place. A Field Client checks can also be added to detect malicious transactions coming from the Field, shutting it down temporarily in a case of an attack. A certain trust in the Field owner is required at this point. This is an abstraction layer and someone controls it (see point 4 above). Just as when you connect to a public node you trust that the node owner runs a legitimate Node software.

6.) Regarding IP mapping and obfuscation that @Edward Greve mentioned: I leave it to the researchers to decide whether IP mapping is a problem. But let me tell you this: if it’s a problem then we have a real problem.Even Nelson maps quite a to of IPs over time. Being a member of the Nelson network for a prolonged time will leave you with quite an impressive list of IPs. So what does it leave us? Should we go back to manual neighbours setting if public IPs are a problem? Do you really think this is scalable? Is hiding behind a manual neighbour not obfuscation?

I think the focus here should be not to hide a node, but to make it smarter. Nelson creates a network that is hard to take down (the code is open source and I invite anybody to try simulating an attack on an established network). Knowing an IP and being able to connect to it are two different things. Yes, you might be successful DDoSing a single node, maybe 10 or 20 or 100 of them. But you will not be able to DDoS a network of 10.000, 30.000, 50.000 nodes. Yet alone taking down the underlying IOTA network.
A user might have a hard time connecting to a DDoSed node, but the network will stay operational. That is also one of the reasons why a load balancer is a good idea. A layer of LB-network on top would make it for the attackers even harder, as I said above.This is something I’d love to research the possibility of.

Guys, we are dealing with cutting edge technology here and where we go from here will have a huge impact on the technology and the fate of IOTA down the road. I know, it is not perfect at the moment. There are basically hundreds of things that I can think of that still need to be done on the CarrIOTA stack. I can thing of hundreds other things that could be very beneficial for IOTA. Some of the ideas going two-three steps beyond what we have right now.

However, it all needs time and resources. Please be patient or participate where you can. If you are a developer, you have no excuse not to be doing something with IOTA, really.
Zitat:Ralf Rottmann-heute um 14:03 Uhr

What an awesome discussion! I’ve also been contacted by various community devs about kicking of a fully open sourced load balancing and node discovery layer on top of the core protocols. We might even want to ask @nuriel77 to make it a default option in his excellent playbook.

Some have suggested the idea that IF should run Field. We currently don’t want to be in this role as that would essentially mean centralization and - at least for as long as Field specifically stays closed source - would even add a layer of “permission” that is fundamentally against IOTA's vision. At some stage, we might run a load balancer, but only if in the true sense of permissionless, everybody else could do so, too, leveraging a free and open solution.

Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 10 Monaten

Alles was man über CarrIOTA-Field wissen sollte
wenn es denn jemanden interessiert

Zitat:CarrIOTA Field ist ein Proxy für IRI, der regelmäßig Statistiken an den
Field Server (http://field.carriota.com) sendet und Jobs vom Load
Balancer des Servers akzeptiert (optional).

CarrIOTA Field: Node Intel und Balancing

In den vergangenen Monaten haben wir durch die Freigabe von Nelson und
Bolero-Tools enorme Fortschritte bei unseren CarrIOTA-Meilensteinen
erzielt. Unser Veröffentlichungsdatum für das endgültige CarrIOTA-Produkt wird zurückgeschoben, da die Ressourcen und
der Zeitaufwand begrenzt sind, um diese Tools nicht nur für unser
Produkt, sondern für die gesamte Community verfügbar zu machen. Wir glauben, dass das Geben und Helfen der Gemeinschaft das Wichtigste ist, was an diesem Punkt getan werden kann.

Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 10 Monaten

Bild

Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 10 Monaten

Zitat:Ralf Rottmann-gestern um 23:57 Uhr (Discord -> Carriota-Field)

Hi everyone! Just caught up with the very interesting debate around field and load balancing nodes in general. Let me try to add some points to the discussion.1. IOTA Foundation has made very clear, that we won't vet third party products or code. a) We do not have the resources to do so and it would require continuous revalidation on every update. b) As a non-profit we do not want to put the foundation at risk by becoming potentially liable for third party code. c) In this specific case, even if we would vet Roman's code, we won’t know whether it actually 100% represents what he is running. In essence, it wouldn’t add any real security with respect to the concrete deployment.

2. For us as a non-profit foundation, we have clear goals and procedures, defined as per our statue. As we currently see things, we could take over field and run it as part of our open source portfolio. We have talked to Roman and his team and offered to him to have our engineering team take a look at the code to get a first idea of how mature it is and the scope that’s covered.(bearbeitet)
3. On a broader scale, a certain degree of centralization around closed source projects is always a thin line to walk. On the other hand, we do love to see community projects grow and gain popularity. With that said, there still seems to be an opportunity to kick off the development of a fully open sourced load balancing solution with the ability to pay per use. As Nuriel pointed out earlier, providing intelligent load balancing doesn’t require any third party code at all. It can be achieved with a clever configuration for haproxy and I’m going to share mine later. I am running it in front of 12 full nodes and it works perfectly fine. If a group of developers would like to work on such an open source solution contributed to the public, I’m sure the Development Eco Fund would be interested in supporting it. (Disclaimer: Investment decisions are made solely by the funds management team.) This way, we could potentially have a multitude of independent groups of nodes, sharing a common, open source solution for load balancing and pay per use which further strengthen IOTA's decentralization.It’s good to having this debate and I salute everyone for staying cautious and passionate about this!

Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 10 Monaten

Zitat:Roman Semko-heute um 13:41 Uhr

Hi guys, sorry for not following the discussion as I was barely on Discord in the past few weeks. Time is not on our side at the moment. A few points I was to clarify and add to what has already been said:

1.) We are currently maintaining half a dozen of IOTA-related projects at our own expense. I hate giving ETAs, especially in the current situation as I cannot assess how much time our other projects (that actually pay our bread and butter) will consume.

2.) The Field server will be open-sourced as soon as I have time to finalise it. The current state will do no good, believe me. As @Ralf Rottmann said, we have talked to the IF regarding the Field. We can open the source in stages as to mitigate any risk regarding possible vulnerabilities. That is, open the source for IF first, then for closed circle of trusted devs, then the rest of the world. 3.) We also offered IF to hire us to run a community Field service. This way IF can make sure that the source is really what is being run on the Field servers. If there is interest, we can go that way. This would make our planning easier and we could reserve more time to work on Field only. And there is much more that could be done regarding the proxy setup comparing to the current PoC, given the right resources. Things like smarter geo-routing, cloud flare protection, automatic failover, etc. I guess, the community has to decide if this is something that should be pursued.

4.) Any truly decentralised system is complex. If you add a layer on top of that system to simplify it, you potentially add some degree of centralisation:Example wallet: the underlying protocol might be decentralised, but you have to trust the devs of the wallet. Or you have to trust the community that someone checked the code thoroughly. Or you need to check it yourself and build it yourself. And you have to trust the compiler that will build your code. And the computer the code is being built on. And the processor (Intel anyone??) that your computer is using. And so forth ad infinitum.

Example society: I guess to be truly free you could go into the woods and live by your own rules. But as soon as you want the benefits that society has offer, you need certain amount of trust in the social system and the community you are living in.

For 100% security and decentralisation - a complete lack of trust has to be given. The more paranoid you are, the less trust you should give. The more “manual” work you should expect to do on your own. You should basically operate on a lower level, avoiding any simplification as it adds intermediary elements/layers into a system that could be potentially compromised.

Does that make any sense? The question here is simple: how far should we go? I guess, everyone should decide on their own. If someone does not trust a Field service, she can always work with separate nodes or running own node. But then, do you really trust the software or the node you are connecting to?

5.) Regarding node protection. Right now the Field is SPoF. It could be taken down in the current state, but would leave the rest of the nodes intact. It would take the hit to protect the rest of the network. That is why, in order to mitigate the effect of SPoF, I offered creating a second layer on top of IOTA, basically a P2P network of Field Servers. A client would be a passive member of this network and connect to nearest, active Field. Something similar to Nelson could be used for that matter.The Field throttles requests so that no 34% attack is possible. It is basically a bottleneck. Hacking the Field Server is another question and what should be worked on in the first place. A Field Client checks can also be added to detect malicious transactions coming from the Field, shutting it down temporarily in a case of an attack. A certain trust in the Field owner is required at this point. This is an abstraction layer and someone controls it (see point 4 above). Just as when you connect to a public node you trust that the node owner runs a legitimate Node software.

6.) Regarding IP mapping and obfuscation that @Edward Greve mentioned: I leave it to the researchers to decide whether IP mapping is a problem. But let me tell you this: if it’s a problem then we have a real problem.Even Nelson maps quite a to of IPs over time. Being a member of the Nelson network for a prolonged time will leave you with quite an impressive list of IPs. So what does it leave us? Should we go back to manual neighbours setting if public IPs are a problem? Do you really think this is scalable? Is hiding behind a manual neighbour not obfuscation?

I think the focus here should be not to hide a node, but to make it smarter. Nelson creates a network that is hard to take down (the code is open source and I invite anybody to try simulating an attack on an established network). Knowing an IP and being able to connect to it are two different things. Yes, you might be successful DDoSing a single node, maybe 10 or 20 or 100 of them. But you will not be able to DDoS a network of 10.000, 30.000, 50.000 nodes. Yet alone taking down the underlying IOTA network.
A user might have a hard time connecting to a DDoSed node, but the network will stay operational. That is also one of the reasons why a load balancer is a good idea. A layer of LB-network on top would make it for the attackers even harder, as I said above.This is something I’d love to research the possibility of.

Guys, we are dealing with cutting edge technology here and where we go from here will have a huge impact on the technology and the fate of IOTA down the road. I know, it is not perfect at the moment. There are basically hundreds of things that I can think of that still need to be done on the CarrIOTA stack. I can thing of hundreds other things that could be very beneficial for IOTA. Some of the ideas going two-three steps beyond what we have right now.

However, it all needs time and resources. Please be patient or participate where you can. If you are a developer, you have no excuse not to be doing something with IOTA, really.
Zitat:Ralf Rottmann-heute um 14:03 Uhr

What an awesome discussion! I’ve also been contacted by various community devs about kicking of a fully open sourced load balancing and node discovery layer on top of the core protocols. We might even want to ask @nuriel77 to make it a default option in his excellent playbook.

Some have suggested the idea that IF should run Field. We currently don’t want to be in this role as that would essentially mean centralization and - at least for as long as Field specifically stays closed source - would even add a layer of “permission” that is fundamentally against IOTA's vision. At some stage, we might run a load balancer, but only if in the true sense of permissionless, everybody else could do so, too, leveraging a free and open solution.

RIIDII
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:
Postet sehr aktiv News rund um IOTA / Kryptowährungen

vor 9 Monaten

ModBotMinel
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

Supporter:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 7 Monaten

Wenn euch meine Beiträge gefallen könnt ihr gerne ein paar IOTA senden:RAKDTDNGIKQFDR99MOQ9CUTUCQSZSZSSU9ZQAQZBBQUFNIOBKYKONHCU9KDHSRFI9ZCSPNPFFACSUKSG9OWYGXIOKB
IOTA wird die Welt verändern und ich bin dabei! 🤑
Nicht Lambo - Nicht Tesla - Q-IOTA

Tisorcrypt
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 7 Monaten

Great Community !  
ModBotMinel
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

Supporter:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 6 Monaten

Wenn euch meine Beiträge gefallen könnt ihr gerne ein paar IOTA senden:RAKDTDNGIKQFDR99MOQ9CUTUCQSZSZSSU9ZQAQZBBQUFNIOBKYKONHCU9KDHSRFI9ZCSPNPFFACSUKSG9OWYGXIOKB

ModBotMinel
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

Supporter:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 6 Monaten

Zitat:Ich muss # golang lieben ! Der ganze # DeviotaNikita Konsensus-Algorithmus in nur 150 Zeilen sauberem Code! Bild
Geschrieben in 3 Stunden auf meinem Weg von München.

ModBotMinel
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

Supporter:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 6 Monaten

Zitat:Schau, was ich heute in der Post von @ PatrickStrumpf habe ! Bild
Ein weiterer # RaspberryPi und # BoschXDK . Fühlt sich wie Weihnachten an! Vielen Dank

Tisorcrypt
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 6 Monaten

Great Community !  
mac110
Mitglied
Reaktionen:

vor 6 Monaten

wieso sind bei field.deviota.com keine nodes mehr online?
Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 5 Monaten

mac110 hat geschrieben:
vor 6 Monaten
wieso sind bei field.deviota.com keine nodes mehr online?
Die Seite scheint seit gestern Down zu sein.
Und Roman scheint gerade in Amsterdam zu sein.

Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 5 Monaten

Tisorcrypt
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-TALK Reporter:

vor 5 Monaten

Zitat:Nur mit 4 # RaspberryPi ZEROs in meiner Küche spielen. Bildverbunden auf WiFi,
ein Nikita Micro-Network bildend. 3 von ihnen laufen von USB-Powerbanks ab. Demütigen 40-60 CTPS.

Quelle
Great Community !  
Dr.M
Team Member
Reaktionen:

IOTA-TALK Team:

IOTA-Expert:

Supporter:

Node-Operator:

vor 5 Monaten

Antworten